August 12, 2020
Strolling Thunder New Jersey 2020 -
A Virtual Rally for Babies!
Telling the story of New Jersey’s babies is more important than ever.
How we care for our babies today shapes our state and our nation's future.
Although we couldn't make our stroll to Trenton this year, we raised our voices to remind state leaders to make babies and their families a priority.
10:30 AM | Singing Beth Welcomes Families!
10:30 AM | Welcome
Cecilia Zalkind, President/CEO Advocates for Children of New Jersey
Guest MC La Guardia Cross, Creator/Director New Father Chronicles
10:40 AM | Advocacy Activity #1 – “Child Care is Essential Act"
- Congresswoman Bonnie Watson Coleman, New Jersey 12th District Remarks
- Liz Dilauro, Senior Director of Advocacy at ZERO TO THREE
- Take Action: Fight to Sustain Child Care
10:45 AM | A few words from our legislators
10:50 AM | Sing-a-long with Singing Beth
10:55 AM | A few words from our legislators
- Assemblywoman Gabriela Mosquera, Legislative District 4 (comprises parts of Camden and Gloucester County)
11:00 AM | Advocacy Activity #2-
11:05 AM | Book Reading by La Guardia Cross
11:10 AM | Panel Discussion: The Power of Parent Voices
- Danielle, Laura and Michael talk about their experiences and challenges related to infant mental health, home visiting and supports for new parents.
11:25 AM | Hear from legislators on how parents’ stories make a difference
- Senator M. Teresa Ruiz, Legislative, District 29 (Parts of Newark and Belleville
- Assemblywoman Yvonne Lopez, Legislative District 19 (Parts of Middlesex County)
11:30 AM | Baby Yoga
11:45 AM | Advocacy in Action Panel: Keep Babies in the Budget
- Cynthia Rice, Senior Policy Analyst, Advocates for Children of New Jersey and Jaye Wilson, Founder of Melinated Moms
- Take Action: Remind your Legislators to Keep Babies in the State Budget
11:55 AM | Advocacy Activity #3
11:56 AM | Closing Remarks
12:00 PM | Dance Party
La Guardia Cross
New Father Chronicles
Creator and Director
La Guardia Cross makes music, art, film and is the creator of New Father Chronicles on YouTube. His channel is filled with silly adventures he's had as a parent of two baby girls. He shares what he and his wife have learned (including mistakes) along the journey.
Most recently our national partner, ZERO TO THREE, has teamed up with La Guardia Cross to create “Daddy Matters,” a 4-part web series that explores why dads matter and what matters to dads.
Don't know who your elected officials are? Click the buttons below to find out who your representatives are.
Link and Resources
- La Guardia's Zero to Three blog, "Daddy Matters"
New Father Chronicles YouTube Channel
- Tell your Members of Congress to fund child care! Take action now!
- Check out Singing Beth on Instagram! @singingbeth
- Sign up to receive ACNJ's Birth to Three emails and alerts.
- Antiracist baby picture book by Ibram X Kendi
Click here to purchase your own copy!
- Unlocking Potential- a plan to expand early childhood services to 27,000 more NJ infants and toddlers in low-income families. Check out our plan here.
- Yoga lessons with Lucy? Check her out on Instagram! @imagineyogalucy
- Melinated Moms - check them out here!
- Complete the census now!
- Access diapers for your family go to:
National Diaper Bank Network (Scroll to New Jersey) (you can also donate)
Moms Helping Moms Foundation
Community Food Bank of New Jersey
- Monetary donations can be made to:
New Jersey Diaper Network at Prevent Child Abuse New Jersey
In the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, unemployment has soared and food insecurity is on the rise. To connect with a food bank, click on one of following organizations: