Led by Advocates for Children of New Jersey and the New Jersey Anti-Hunger Coalition, the Food For Thought campaign is driven by a statewide steering committee that includes state agencies, anti-hunger, education and health organizations and child advocates. The Food Research Action Center, the American Dairy Association and Council and the Mid-Atlantic Dairy Council are the campaign’s national partners.
The campaign surpassed its initial goal of increasing participation in the federal School Breakfast Program by 30 percent by June 2013. In fact, participation rose 36 percent from September 2010 to March 2013, meaning that 48,000 more children were receiving a healthy breakfast each school day. The campaign has set a new goal to achieve a 50 percent increase in student participation by June 2014, measuring progress from the baseline year of 2010.
The steering committee is working to build statewide support for school breakfast expansion in a variety of ways. Committee members also work closely with local school districts, helping to overcome challenges to implementing breakfast after the bell in target districts.
List of partners:
- Advocates for Children of New Jersey
- American Dairy Association & Dairy Council, Inc.
- Food Research and Action Center
- Mid-Atlantic Dairy Association
- NJ Action for Healthy Kids/AtlantiCare
- NJ Anti-Hunger Coalition
- NJ Association of School Administrators
- NJ Catholic Conference
- NJ Charter School Association
- NJ Department of Agriculture
- NJ Department of Education
- NJ Department of Health
- NJ Dietetic Association
- NJ Education Association
- The NJ Federation of Food Banks
- NJ Partnership for Healthy Kids
- NJ Principal and Supervisors Association
- NJ PTA
- NJ School Boards Association
- NJ School Nutrition Association